Jack the Apprentice

 

Hi I am Jack Morrison….

I recently started working at the George and Dragon as an apprentice chef. Over the next few years I will be working alongside head chef Billy Doyle and his kitchen team as I set out on my journey to becoming a high quality chef.



The reason I decided to become a chef was because truthfully I thought it would be nice and relaxing! How I was wrong! 

The George and Dragon is a very busy pub and I am excited for the challenges ahead. I have picked up basic skills quite quickly and if I am unsure of anything I am not afraid to ask, because let’s face it if you don’t ask for things in life you won’t get anywhere. I have settled into the team really well as I was nervous that it would take me a while to get to know everyone, but everyone has been really friendly and we are all ‘green chickens’ which means everyone at the G&D always helps each other out, which I think is a very good motto to have.

 I have made a few errors over the past 4 weeks, I dropped a tray of brownie onto the side and some of it broke but luckily I managed to salvage what I could, but hey, I’m only an apprentice so these mistakes will happen. Sous Chef Fiona is very impressed with my presentation skills and I have been told to think when I am sending a dish I need to be proud of it,  

One of the G&D values is to ‘Be proud of what we do’ So would I want to pay for this meal? If the answer is no, I will alter it to make it something I would be happy to pay more than the selling price. 

I am currently helping out with the New Year’s Eve 7 course taster menu, in the next couple of weeks I will be testing my dish so watch out for those pictures! I will also be helping out with specials so I’ll keep you posted on some great dishes we have coming up and you can come try them; maybe have a drink of two? 

I start college in the next few weeks and I am nervous as anyone would be, but as soon as I know where I am going I should be fine. 

Well that’s all for me, watch out for my upcoming dishes.

Thanks
Jack

Comments